The Valentine House, 2220 Jackson Street

The first residents of record in this charming 3 bedroom, 3 bath craftsman style home were John T. Valentine and his wife Grace Treadwell Valentine. We see them mentioned at this address in the 1926 Alexandria, Louisiana City Directory just after the land was purchased along with the property next door at 2236 Jackson (historyContinue reading “The Valentine House, 2220 Jackson Street”

The French Family at 1220 Blythe Avenue

In 1904, The Town Talk newspaper described the new addition called the Kilpatrick Addition. This addition was designed by Charles M. Kilpatrick the Rapides Parish Sheriff at the time. In 1919, a petition was brought to pave Blythe Avenue between Polk and Turner Streets with gravel. In 1919, a petition was brought to pave BlytheContinue reading “The French Family at 1220 Blythe Avenue”

823 City Park Boulevard, Alexandria, Louisiana

Dorothy Hylton Prosser was born in Louisiana in the year 1894. At 21, she married Dr. Eaton Kittredge Sims, a man twice her age in Donaldsonville, Ascension Parish, Louisiana. They were married nine years before Dr. Sims passed away in 1924. The couple had three children together in addition to children that he had from a previous marriage.

Fifty Nifty Bungalows with Murphy-In-A-Dor Beds, 1901 Polk Street

In 1919, Gehr Construction Company announced the construction of Fifty Nifty Bungalows “on Bolton Avenue, Polk Street, and other beautiful residential streets.”  These bungalows were advertised to maximize room space because they are all built with closets to accomodate Murphy-In-A-Dor beds. In 1901 Polk Street, although remodeling has been done to alter the original floorContinue reading “Fifty Nifty Bungalows with Murphy-In-A-Dor Beds, 1901 Polk Street”

Mount Olivet Rectory, 107 Hudson Street Pineville, Louisiana 71360

History of Mount Olivet and Diocesan House The chapel built in 1854 was constructed in an existing cemetery that had been used since 1824. It has an oak floor, but the rest is entirely local pinewood. The parish hall was built in 1946, due to congregation growth at the end of World War II. InContinue reading “Mount Olivet Rectory, 107 Hudson Street Pineville, Louisiana 71360”