In 1918, the building appears with Leonard’s Pharmacy owned by Charles C. Leonard in part of the building and the French Cafe owned by John Lacombe in the other suite.
April 11, 1918 Grapico Bottling Works would also locate in the building.
In 1926, Leonard’s Pharmacy had a bit of a run in with the law. Between 1919 & 1933, the United States was under the 18th Amendment to the Constitution prohibiting the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors. Leonard was in hot water when Sheriff Downs raided his business and residence, unearthing 26 quarts of liquor under his car in the garage and more in his residence, including a bottle of “White Horse”.
In 1928, the announcement that the building would no longer be known as Leonard’s Pharmacy and would now be known as Leatherman’s Pharmacy and the Triangle Cafe.
Fri, Jan 20, 1928 – Page 5 · The Town Talk (Alexandria, Louisiana) · Newspapers.com
In the 1940’s, it was the Romel Theriot Liquor Store, Pelican Amusement Company, the Mayfair Hotel and Cafe.
Later in 1980, the space was occupied by Joe’s Lounge, a private club and the House of Blue Lights Restaurant.
Take the opportunity today to rehabilitate the building and put your own stamp on it! What will its next purpose be?