For many years Elliott Street ended directly after the bayou behind Hillcrest Drive and the Avenues area, but a new neighborhood was developed beginning in the 1940’s that was called Mimosa Place.
We will begin the story of the house at 2816 Elliott Street with the marriage in 1910 of two young Louisianan people, Morris Emeric Tooraen (1885-1949) of West Feliciana and Mary Margaret “Minnie” Hunter of a long established Alexandria family. Morris Tooraen worked his entire career in pharmaceuticals and after marrying Minnie, he established himself in Alexandria.
The family lived at 1022 Chester (today is 1002 Chester) for many years until the new area of Mimosa Place off the Elliott Street extension began to open up. Morris was quick to purchase the piece of land he wanted in 1941 and they were established in their new home by the time of his World War II draft registration card.
The couple had two children Charles Hunter and Mary Morris Tooraen. At the time of building the new home the children had already left the nest, but newspaper accounts show that they often returned home to spend holidays and other quality time with their parents. In 1949, just seven years together in their new home Morris suffered a major heart attack and passed away.
From 1949 to at least 1960, Mrs. Mary Margaret “Minnie” Tooraen continued to live in the home and even took in roomers. One humorous incident mentioned in the newspaper must be included in this piece, the fire department was called to investigate strange noises in the attic and upon looking into it found a family of birds.